‘Pitch In’ : University Baseball / Softball Officer
Responsible to: the university
To lead and co-ordinate the development of softball at the host institution to encourage new players to come into the sport and to ensure that all players have a quality experience at whatever level they participate.
- Athletic Union.
- Student Union.
- Club captains.
- Sports Development Centre staff.
- Hall sport secretaries.
- University Director of Sport.
- Local softball clubs.
- BaseballSoftballUK (BSUK).
What you’ll do:
- Start and promote the University Softball Club and increase the number of students playing softball at the university.
- Appoint and work with club captains to develop the Softball Club, identifying where there may be a need for coaches, umpires, volunteers etc.
- Work with BaseballSoftballUK and the university's Athletic Union and Student Union to deliver recreational softball activities/festivals that will encourage softball participation.
- Increase access and opportunities to play softball on campus for staff and local residents.
- Report monthly to the university and to BSUK on the number of students that have participated in a university softball session or event during that month.
- Provide feedback to the Softball Club on best practice when necessary.
- Promote volunteering opportunities to students outside the Softball Club.
- Promote softball competition at the university; looking at BUCS teams, student Cup teams and/or intramural teams.
What you’ll be:
- An existing student based at the university -- but you do not necessarily have to play softball.
- Enthusiastic, with a "can do" attitude.
- An excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- Able to work in a team but also able to work independently.
- Passionate about developing sports participation.
What you’ll get:
- Funding support for your university's baseball or softball club.
- BaseballSoftballUK clothing to promote and assist in your role.
- Access to free training and NGB qualifications relevant to your role.
- An excellent CV boost, with references provided by BaseballSoftballUK and the university.
- Gaining invaluable skills, experience and training.
- Experience of people management and partnership working.
- Gaining confidence.
- Making new friends, with great chances to network.
- The opportunity of summer volunteer and paid work.